This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on Basics 1
1. The IETF standards documents are called ________
Explanation: RFC stands for Request For Comments and they are documents that describe methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to the working of the Internet.
2. In the layer hierarchy as the data packet moves from the upper to the lower layers, headers are ___________
Explanation: Each layer adds its own header to the packet from the previous layer. For example, in the Internet layer, the IP header is added over the TCP header on the data packet that came from the transport layer.
3. The structure or format of data is called ___________
Explanation: The structure and format of data are defined using syntax. Semantics defines how a particular pattern to be interpreted, and what action is to be taken based on that interpretation. In programming languages, syntax of the instructions plays a vital role in designing of the program.
4. Communication between a computer and a keyboard involves ______________ transmission.
Explanation: In simplex transmission, data flows in single direction which in this case refers to the data flowing from the keyboard to the computer. Another example would be of the mouse where the data flows from the mouse to the computer only.
5. The first Network was called ________
Explanation: ARPANET stands for Advanced Research Projects Agency Networks. It was the first network to be implemented which used the TCP/IP protocol in the year 1969.
6. A _______ is the physical path over which a message travels.
Explanation: Messages travel from sender to receiver via a physical path called the medium using a set of methods/rules called protocol. Mediums can be guided (wired) or unguided (wireless).
7. Which organization has authority over interstate and international commerce in the communications field?
Explanation: FCC is the abbreviation for Federal Communications Commission. FCC is responsible for regulating all interstate communications originating or terminating in USA. It was founded in the year 1934.
8. Which of this is not a network edge device?
Explanation: Network edge devices refer to host systems, which can host applications like web browser. A switch can’t operate as a host, but as a central device which can be used to manage network communication.
9. A _________ set of rules that governs data communication.
Explanation: In communications, a protocol refers to a set of rules and regulations that allow a network of nodes to transmit and receive information. Each layer in the network model has a protocol set, for example, the transport layer has TCP and UDP protocols.
10. Three or more devices share a link in ________ connection.
c) Point to point
Explanation: A multipoint communication is established when three or many network nodes are connected to each other. Frame relay, Ethernet and ATM are some examples of multipoint connections.