This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Data Types”.
1. Which of the following is not a data type?
a) Symbolic Data
b) Alphanumeric Data
c) Numeric Data
d) Alphabetic Data
Explanation: Data types are of three basic types: Numeric, Alphabetic and Alphanumeric. Numeric Data consists of only numbers.
Alphabetic Data consists of only letters and a blank character and alphanumeric data consists of symbols.
2. *@Ac# is a type of ________________ data.
Explanation: Alphanumeric data consists of symbols. Alphanumeric data may be a letter, either in uppercase or lowercase or some special symbols like #,^,*,(, etc.
3. Which of the following is not a valid representation in bits?
Explanation: There are no criteria like the 24-bit representation of numbers. Numbers can be written in 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit as per the IEEE format.
4. What are the entities whose values can be changed called?
Explanation: Variables are the data entities whose values can be changed. Constants have a fixed value. Tokens are the words which are easily identified by the compiler.
5. Which of the following is not a basic data type in C language?
Explanation: There are 5 basic data types in C language: int, char, float, double, void.
Int is for the representation of integers, char is for strings and characters, float and double are for floating point numbers whereas void is a valueless special data type.
6. BOOLEAN is a type of data type which basically gives a tautology or fallacy.
Explanation: A Boolean representation is for giving logical values. It returns either true or false. If a result gives a truth value, it is called tautology whereas if it returns a false term, it is referred to as fallacy.
7. What does FORTRAN stands for?
a) Formula Transfer
b) Formula Transformation
c) Formula Translation
d) Format Transformation
Explanation: FORTRAN is a type of computer language. It was developed for solving mathematical and scientific problems. It is very commonly used among the scientific community.
8. The program written by the programmer in high level language is called _____________
a) Object Program
b) Source Program
c) Assembled Program
d) Compiled Program
Explanation: The program written by the programmer is called a source program. The program generated by the compiler after compilation is called an object program. The object program is in machine language.
9. A standardized language used for commercial applications.
Explanation: COBOL is a language used in business and commercial applications. It stands for Common Business Oriented Language. It is imperative, procedural as well as object oriented language.
10. ______________ define how the locations can be used.
a) Data types
d) Data Objects
Explanation: Attributes can determine how any location can be used. Attributes can be type, name, component, etc. Data objects are the variables and constants in a program.